- This event has passed.
COVID-19 and Sustainable Food Systems | Webinar
June 3 @ 2:30 am - 4:30 pm
What critical measures are required to both combat the COVID19 crisis and to build sustainable food systems? Can responses to the COVID19 crisis catalyse transformation toward sustainable food systems?
The COVID-19 pandemic poses unprecedented challenges for food systems worldwide – but also enormous opportunities. It is a wakeup call that has highlighted the need for holistic approaches to address both the shock brought by the pandemic and the vulnerabilities of our unsustainable food systems. To build sustainable food systems we will need more coordinated, more integrated measures – a food systems approach.
We invite you to this SFS Programme webinar in which the WHO Secretary General’s Special Envoy for COVID-19, Dr. David Nabarro, will give a keynote speech. INRAe and UNSCN will set the scene with fresh research findings, and you will learn from practical response experiences from the government of Costa Rica and the Council of Food Security and Nutrition of Brazil’s Rio Grande do Sul state. To close, an interactive discussion will be kicked off by FAO, IFAD, UNEP and WWF, which will focus on key measures required to both combat the pandemic’s impact and build sustainable food systems.
* Vice-minister Ana Cristina Quirós Soto, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, Costa Rica
* Dr. David Nabarro, WHO Director-General’s Special Envoy on COVID-19
* Potira V. Preiss, counselor of the Council of Food Security and Nutrition (CONSEA) of Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil
* Dr. Yuna Chiffoleau, Research Director, INRAe
* Dr. Stieneke Oenema, Coordinator, UNSCN
* Margarita Astrálaga, Director of the Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG), IFAD
* Fatima Hachem, Senior Nutrition Officer, FAO
* Martina Otto, Head of Cities Unit, UNEP
Moderator: Brent Loken, Food Science Lead, WWF
Join the discussion on 3rd June at 2:30 PM CEST.